5.24.2011

Fresh and Clean Spaghetti and Meatballs

We haven't been having as much fun with our dinners lately because I was in show prep mode and that really didn't allow for too much creativity, so I was excited to give this a whirl once things settled back in. We've had this poor spaghetti squash sitting on the counter for about 5 weeks and I thought it was time to let the little beauty have its moment!


I started by spraying a large glass pan with cooking spray and then cut up the squash into quarters. I sprayed each piece and laid them face down in the pan. I threw the pan in the over for 40 minutes at 375 degrees and started prepping my meat sauce.

The meat sauce is simple, ingredients include:
1 package of ground chicken or turkey or lean ground beef
2 large cans diced tomatoes
1 c. diced green peppers
1 c. diced onions
1 tsp. minced garlic
1 tblsp. olive oil
Seasonings included: oregano, sea salt blend and pepper (I kept it simple; but, you can get very creative with this)

Start by browning the meat and then set it aside. In a large sauce pan pour in olive oil and let it warm slightly, then add your garlic. Saute the garlic for about a minute and then add in your peppers and onions. I sauteed this for about 2 minutes and then threw in the meat and cooked it all together for an additional minute. Next step is to drain your canned tomatoes and then add them to the pan and simmer until the spaghetti squash is done. Stir occasionally.



Once the spaghetti squash is cooked, (it will be hot, so be careful) scrape it with a fork into a large bowl. Serve with meat sauce and enjoy!


This recipe has an incredibly FRESH taste...you can really taste all the flavors and it's not heavy like whole wheat pasta can be. I highly recommend it even in the summer time!

No comments:

Post a Comment