1.25.2011

Tips from the Rookie

Hello My Friends! My name is Amber Eve and I’m a newbie to the fitness competition scene. I began training and eating clean in April of 2010 when my good friend, Jackie Briggs, was preparing for her first competition. She inspired me to begin my journey towards a healthier and happier me and I couldn’t be more grateful for that day. (I also want to congratulate Jackie for her first place finish in fitness at the 2010 Fitness New York competition!)

Presently, I am training under the guidance of Cathy Savage Fitness for my first figure competition, which will take place in April of 2011, talk about full circle! I couldn’t be more thrilled to share my journey and provide you with tips from a bonafide rookie! I’ll also share humorous tales as I learn the ropes about competing; everything from how to walk in a teeny, weeny bikini while wearing sky-high platform heels and a spray-on tan that probably could glow in the dark and also how to survive family get togethers. I have to be honest, I never thought I’d receive strange glances from my nearest and dearest when I passed on the wine and mashed potatoes at the dinner table. These glances were shortly followed by the questioning. “So…you’re like, a body builder now?” Awkward pause and blank stare. “Does that mean you’re going to start talking like a man and growing facial hair?” Classic. Unfortunately, exchanges like this one are par for the course; but having a sense of humor and slowly gaining more confidence in my new lifestyle has been incredibly empowering. My family and friends better understand my goals now and are really supportive. They have even started implementing some clean recipes into our dinners together and occasionally ask me for tips on balancing healthy eating and workouts. So I thought I’d start off by sharing a few of my favorite tips to make life a little healthier (and easier):

1. Set yourself up for success, be prepared! Portion out food ahead of time and place it in small plastic bags or containers so you can grab a serving and go (i.e. 1 oz. raw almonds = approx. 28 almonds).

2. Choose fruits that are “self-wrapped,” like clementines, apples, bananas or pears to toss in your bag so you’re never without healthy options on the go.

3. Two words…baby spinach! This lil wonder veggie is an excellent source of nutrition and works with most meals. I throw it in egg white omelettes, salads and even my protein shakes. It takes on the flavor of the shake when you blend it up and helps me get my veggies in when I don’t feel like eating broccoli first thing in the morning.

4. Grill and cook in bulk so you can pull from large containers all week long. We make grilled chicken on Sundays and pull from the container throughout the week to make preparing meals a breeze.

I may look like a pack mule schlepping 4 bags into the office everyday; but, the bottom line is, I’m prepared. I’m prepared for whatever the day will bring, be it pot luck feasts or office runs to the pizza shop downtown. These potential diet catastrophes are a blip on the radar because I have a plan.

I look forward to sharing my journey with you and encouraging you to not only live a healthy life; but in the words of Ms. Winfrey, live your best life!

Much Love and Happy New Year!




Here's a lil pic of tonight's dinner...ground turkey and veggie sauce on a bed of spinach. Mmmmmm!

No comments:

Post a Comment